Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Crazy Wednesday: Spoofing, Phishing, Virus Scans...oh my!

I have been spoofed.

Spoofing is an annoying trend in cyber-misbehavior whereby someone uses what looks like your email address to send emails to other people. They do this to get your contact info and other personal information (bank accounts, credit cards) and this is called "phishing."

Anyway, the email doesn't really come from you, and there are ways to track back an email to see where it came from, however, most people don't do that - and it just looks like you are spamming.

And right now I am embarrassingly - seemingly... sending naughty emails about Latina women...
ug.

Fortunately, it appears that I am virus and hacker-free, which means that my email list has not been compromised and "I" am not sending these icky emails to anyone I know. But all the same, I HATE the idea that anyone would associate me with ... something so distasteful. And we will just leave it at that.

Meghan Wier - who is running virus scans and backing up the computer today...












Meghan Wier
Author Writer Web Consultant

No comments: