Sunday, April 13, 2008

Blogging (for Dummies)






Firstly, I need to say, "yes, I did borrow this pic from Amazon -- and thank you." ...I wouldn't want to get in trouble for not citing my source - also, if you are interested in the book (Blogging for Dummies by Brad Hill), and if I have correctly added the link, you should be able to click the image and go to Amazon and buy the book...from my good generous friends at Amazon... (see I am looking out for you guys!)



All that aside, I wanted to mention that I have spent a good part of the weekend thumbing through this book on blogging and I would like to say that the author Brad Hill is a pretty funny guy. I enjoyed the wit and humor--and generally I think that this book would be palatable and helpful to all. I hope the the door prize winner at BNI on Thursday will enjoy the book as well (and forgive me for looking through it myself before giving it away).



There were a couple things in the book that I did not know - or at least had not thought of--such as the "blogger's code" - to be honest, or always attempt honesty in the posts (with the exception of fiction writing) -- and that I believe I have always done.


Hm...I guess I need to take that back... there are times when I use a false name or composition of situations for blog entries, especially when writing an entry for a client. A lot of times my clients are asked the same question over and over, and we post the question and answer on the blog. There are situations where I will merge the two into one, and then answer it as if it were one originally. But I don't think anyone gets too bent out of shape about this... we would just be answering the same question twice and that would be boring and redundant. SO --- I have come clean, I don't know if there is someone better to confess to than the blogosphere. (Maybe Pete McGourty will know...) I digress--Other things to do as a blogger is to of course cite your source, link when possible instead of cutting and pasting big chunks of text and do not comment spam. All great advice. I do consider myself to be pretty "white hat" when it comes to such things. Blogging is such a new-old thing, with an ever changing landscape. But it all comes down to the kindergarten mantra " be nice to your friends." (which is obviously "borrowed" from famous "do unto others..." which is taken from so many sources, it is probably one of those things which is technically un-citable, given the concept's roots in everything from Greek Philosophy to the Baha'i Faith).


INHALE...


On a somewhat related note, I have remembered that my posts are still being syndicated on the Amazon profile page. This blog (I believe...) was taken off the Confessions of an Introvert page, so I didn't give it much thought... but it does still appear on the Meghan Wier profile page. So hello! Amazon people. Don't forget to check out the new Confessions of an Introvert book which will be re-released in October.... rest assured I will be blogging about that soon, and asking for your reviews and feedback! I may even ask for your thoughts on my next book, "untitled," (catchy huh! -- I probably won't call it "untitled" -- that is more of a working title)

ug - that was a bit of a ramble, wasn't it!



Well, the Blogging for Dummies book does say to keep blog entries short... so alas...





Meghan Wier
Author Writer Web Consultant

No comments: