Friday, July 29, 2005

Blog/Web content theft

I read an article today (http://www.marketingsherpa.com/1et/bestofweekly-07-25-05.htm#topic1) about how prevelant blog (and website) content theft is... and I got to thinking, boy, kids today are so lucky! In my day if you wanted to plagierize, you actually had to find a book on the subject (as in--in the library!) and then copy, word for word onto an actual piece of paper, or if you were really fortunate, type the words into your computer. (And if you had one of these, it didn't come with things like "spell-check"!)

Well - for goodness sake, what do we expect? Of course people are going to steal, (and if they are a little crafty, slightly re-word) what we post on the web... We put it out there. We made it easy to take... (and if you are like me, you tried to drive traffic to it, and make it really easy to find...). Best thing to do is copyright what you post, and then cross your fingers and call people on it when/if you catch them. (Or write things that are SO bad and unreadable that no one would want to copy it and call it their own!

For the record, if anyone wants to use something I wrote -- I would be honored (and perhaps surprised!), but do me a favor, (what was it that old business professor of mine said all the time???) CITE YOUR SOURCE. And the thing that would make me even happier... link to the article... expecially if you have a really great Page Rank!

(c) 2005 Meghan Wier



-Meg
Blog Writer
Networking Goddess
Introvert
Business Development Guru

8 comments:

clanlally said...

You should check out Creative Commons. I dont use them on diligentia but I do have it on my other site.

Hey! I also set up an RSS feed. You can be the FIRST subscriber since no one actually READS that blog. :)

Meghan Wier said...

cool - thanks Mike - You Rock!

Anonymous said...

I must be missing something with the whole pagerank thing. I mean, if I go after a keyword, and I get it to the top position in the search engines, why should I care at all about the pr that is going to show in the google bar. It shouldn't matter at all, to anyone. After all, the whole point is to grab those top positions, and you can do that just fine without having high google pr.

Page Rank said...

Hi insomniac, I found your blog while searching for the latest blog news covering Increase Pagerank, and although this post isn't a perfect match to what I am looking for, I certainly like the look and feel of your blog.

SEO said...

Hey insomniac, Your this post message is well received. I am just out searching for information on Search Engine Position and related and ended up on your blog. Although I'm not an avid "blogger", I have decided to save yours and come back since the information provided has substance.

doer said...

Just found your blog, it's great! I also have a web site related to Google Adwords ebooks and software.Thanks!

Marketing man said...

Hey, you have a nice blog! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a california seo site. It pretty

much covers california seo related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

pr said...

Calling all SEO'S and Web Marketing Experts a new blog with more information than you can digest
on Search Engine Optimisation and Web Marketing Tips
is now available for your use and the best part of it all, it's FREE, all we ask is that you place a link from your web site or blog to this blog or post your comments on the subject.

Brought to you by Airport Essentials