Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Your Information

As I fill out yet another online form, I am reminded of how readily available any and all information about me. My favorite books, my friends, my address - even my "mood." I know this, I am ok with it.. but how many people do not know that they can no longer be anonymous online. So a bit of advice, (from a confessed serial advice giver).... think about it before you type it in. The internet can connect you with people you know, knew, or want to know... but it can also connect you with those you don't. ---My book: Confessions of an Introvert will no longer be available starting Dec 1st. It is being re-published by SourceBooks! Look for it in store next Fall (maybe under a new name, I will let you know). HAPPY THANKSGIVING

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You actually give your "real" information? I make most of it up.

Meghan Wier said...

Great comment -- I do have ficticious info I put in when filling out nonsense forms -- things with required fields, but no real need for them to have my info. My cat and dog get a lot of spam and junk mail - credit card offers, etc, because I will use their information to get free samples or things like that - but if you look at something like social networking, your personal information is what makes you a "real" person -- your favorite book, hometown, age. These things by themselves are posted without thought that all of the bits and pieces (like what someone could glean from a blog for instance...)give a lot away, and that is where there a danger if you aren't aware of what you post. Now I am in a sort-of unique situation---I am trying to sell a book--and I have a business that I wish & need to support. Posting my information is a matter of income for me. I want people to know me, and I want them to be able to trust in my ability to do a job or in my experiences and how they may positively influence their success. So I post in my blog, on linkedin, myspace, blogger etc. It is not hard to find information on me and that is on purpose -- BUT I do try to be cautious in what I post. I also don't talk specifically about others generally. That is my way of protecting the people I know who haven't asked to be "public" online. Also, I won't blog about my wild partying or co-workers -- (not that there is anything to talk about there) Because that is not the kind of thing I want or need associating with my online identity...but things get trickier if you look at someone's online friends. Take for example, Myspace--if I have a "friend" on myspace, they may post about their crazy late nights or bad boss...what they say may reflect on me. My "friends" who may not be my friends at all are factors I can't control...
well at this point I am just rambling, and that is not how I wish to represent my "public" online self -- despite the blog title, and so with that... good night